Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Trademark Bill Puts Writers/Journalists At Risk

A new bill has already passed the House and is on its way to the Senate, will introduce a weakening of writers' Fair Use rights: read this article at The Writer's Blog.

A scary thought considering how much we writers depend on those fair use rights. How much longer before people can't even speak certain words out of context without fear of retrobution? How would you like to only be able to use the word "Coca-Cola" while within a certain vacinity of the actual product? Or even worse, while within a certain vacinity WITH an aim to actually purchasing it? Or never be able to say "I like Coke, but not Pepsi" to a friend during a friendly conversation while walking down the street?

An exaggeration perhaps, but makes you think quite about about our freedoms, and how easily they could be taken away.

Also read more here: The Author's Guild Advice and Plea

1 Comments:

At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Matt Goerzen said...

Hi DNA,

My name is Matt Goerzen, and I'm the managing editor/co-owner of The Foreigner-Japan.com. I came across the link to our site, and I was very pleased to see you liked our publishing links section.

In reading your blog, I understand you are a writer in Japan. Well, we are always looking for new and talented individuals to write short pieces on a monthly or even one-time basis.

I was wondering if you would be willing to write an article talking about what it's like to try and publish work in Japan as a foreigner.

This would require talking to a few other quoted sources, perhaps friends of yours who also write in the country, or even a publisher you have been in contact with.

At the same time, we can help to advertise some of your written works, and guide people to sites and book stores to purchase your short novels and stories.

We are an all-volunteer organization, and have been fortunate to encounter many aspiring writers who have been willing to share their passion with us. I myself am actually working in Canada at the moment, but I coordinate the magazine from here. You can read my work (I'm a news reporter) at the following address:

www.brandonsun.com

I hope to hear from you in the coming days. Feel free to drop me a line at my email:

managingeditor@theforeigner-japan.com

Sincerely,

Matt

 

Post a Comment

<< Home